MENTAL HEALTH AND EDUCATION: EXPERT OPINION BY Prof. Dr. Eliot SOREL
MENTAL HEALTH AND EDUCATION: PERSONAL EXPERT OPINION BY Prof. Dr. Eliot SOREL, the George Washington University, Washington, DC (USA)
“Intrauterine and first thousand days of life brain development is essential for lifelong TOTAL Health, for educational accomplishments, for future transdisciplinary career development & performance, as well as for harmonious relationships and wellbeing.”
Eliot SOREL MD is an innovative global health leader, educator, health systems performance expert, and a practicing physician.
• At the George Washington University, in Washington, DC, Dr. Sorel is a Senior Scholar in the Center of Healthcare Innovations and Policy Research in the School of Medicine, the lead physician teaching Global Delivery – Health Systems and Global Mental Health. He is Clinical Professor of Global Health, Health Policy & Management and of Psychiatry & Behavioral Sciences. He is founder & chair of the Youth Democracy Forum at the Elliott School of International Affairs.
• A practicing physician, Dr. Sorel works collaboratively with primary care and public health colleagues. The innovative, TOTAL Health approach, a primary care, mental health & public health collaborative integrated model was initiated by Dr. Sorel in 2013 as a means of enhancing quality, access, and sustainability of care. He was sworn-in by Mayor Muriel Bowser as a member of the District of Columbia Health Exchange Information Policy Board on March 17th 2016. He is the President of the 1st International Perinatal TOTAL Health Congress accessible at www.perinatal2018international.org. Dr. Sorel is the lead author of “Healthcare,Inclusive of Mental Healthcare, Is a Human Right”. It is now APA policy since December 10, 2017.
• He initiated and led the clinical public health research project on Depression & Comorbidity in Primary Care in China, India, Iran, Romania & Slovenia and the Global health systems performance comparisons between Africa, Asia/Pacific, Europe and the Americas.
• Dr. Sorel coauthored the APA Statement on Integrated Care of 2016 and the WPA Bucharest Statement on Integrated Care & Collaborative Care of 2015.
• He is a member of the Oversight Committee of the US Health Disparities Transdisciplinary Collaborative Center at the Satcher Health Leadership Institute with a focus on Non-communicable diseases in Region 4 of the United States.
• 21st Century Global Mental Health is the most recent of seven books edited by Dr. Sorel. His most recent publication is Translating Scientific Evidence into Global Health Policy.
• Dr. Sorel was honored with Doctor Honoris Causa by Carol Davila Medical University and by the Politehnica University of Bucharest, Romania in October 2009 and in June 2014, respectively.
• The President of Romania decorated Dr. Sorel with the Star of Romania Order of Commander in January 2004.